Thursday 23 June 2011

Preston Street Crit 2011
















This year Preston street was to be one of the only road races on my calendar. It's always fun when family and friends can come out and see you do what you love. I was looking forward to it. Last year I had got in a late break away and pulled off a 5th place finish. I knew it would be hard to top this, but I was willing to try!
Imad and I were to be the only Kunstadt riders in the Senior 1-2 race. Couple of hack mountain bikers mixing it up with the roadies!

Pretty much right off the start Imad got away in a small break and I played defence until we finally caught them. shortly after I got away with Mark Boudreau for a short test. Finally about 1/2 way through a major break got away with all the favorites in it. I knew that we had to catch this one fast or it was race over.
I decided to go straight to the front and take charge. I was very difficult but eventually Imad joined me and a couple others finally got involved with us and we pulled them back! Awesome! But pretty tired at this point. Before the break got caught Matteo Dal-Cin broke away from them , UNBELIEVEABLE! So going into the final lap it was a race for second. Unfortunately coming out of the second to last corner there was a bad crash in front of me, (mid pack), k-os! I was able to avoid it and came across the line sitting up rather than sprinting for 20th or whatever. Despite only finishing 22nd, I am pretty proud of our race, we really took charge and stopped a group of favorites from spoiling the race. Or did we spoil theirs?? Either way, was an honest days work in my books.
Here's a few pics from the day, thanks for reading!


1 comment:

  1. Kunstadt Sports also sponsored the “Wheel Pit” where bicycles got repaired and spare wheels stored. Mike Plummer, Kunstadt Sports' superstar bike mechanic manned the service station with grace and utmost competence.

    ReplyDelete